Tuesday, August 7, 2012

where to go from here?

Where does this leave me with relationship with my family? Not so well, my husband was in denial and his mother was even worse. I will fight for my child no matter the damage to relationships with other family members or even friends. I have lost some of both. When does this start to get better? When we took him to see our functional MD for his behavioral issues and he was exhausted, but couldn't sleep. She suggested we go off gluten, and what happened next was amazing. It was a Friday, we went straight from the dr office to the gluten free health food store, and purchased all the things he loved, but in gluten free form. Moday he woke up late and I noticed some moisture in his ears, the moisture quickly turned to pouring fluid to green slime. Both of his ear drums ruptured. I know this sounds bad, but it was such a blessing. All of that gunk that had built up in his ears drained, and left him able to heal. Not another ear infection since. That was June 6th, 2011. Behaviorally, being gluten free helps lots, but there was more layers to peel away. Next was the breakdown I had after going to the beach with him and friends. He didn't sleep the whole time. I shit you not, the whole time. He stared at the shadow in the room as said it was watching him. Let me back up for a second here. Max has, since about 18 months old, talked to dead people or asked us if we saw the 'people in the room'. He never asked us if we saw live people so he was putting it together that he we seeing spirits. Anyways, after a week of no sleep I had a breakdown and went to see the Dr. Told her of my experience with him not sleeping the whole time,ect... She suggested that I talk to her nurse who had great luck recovering her son. Vitamin B is crucial, she told me. Her son got vit b shots daily. Once again I ran to the health food store and purchased a strong vit b supplement. Within days he started to make eye contact, say hi to people when then they talked to him and could tell me more about what was going on instead of being so frustrated ALL the time. BTW, she also gave me a prescription for celexa and is was very helpful at the time. We enrolled him in the public school system since the hippy school obviously didn't have enough structure to keep him feeling safe. The structure of the public school was wonderful for him. He stopped having accidents at school and home towards the middle of the school year. I would just like to say here, that the school didn't want to help me, the screened him and said he was just a little quirky, but fine. We had to threaten to sue them to get services. Fight for your child. The other approach we took was Occupational Therapy at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. His fine motor skills were lacking, he was showing sensory issues and processing issues. Not sure how much OT helped, this is our last month, but glad we did it none the less. One of the things we did because of OT was get a therapeutic listening system. I think it does help, but I didn't get drastic results. It was $400.00

No comments:

Post a Comment